Child Protection Policy
Promoting the safety, well-being, and potential of children, youth, and vulnerable persons is the cornerstone of our work at the YMCA of Medicine Hat. We believe Child Protection is the responsibility of everyone at the Y, that's why we ensure the welfare and protection of children by taking the following measures:
- Valuing, respecting, and listening to children, youth, and vulnerable persons.
- Ensuring all necessary checks are made when recruiting staff and volunteers, which includes:
- Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sectors Check
- Minimum of 3 professional reference checks
- Formal interview process for all positions
- Maintaining strong child protection systems and procedures for staff and volunteers.
- Training all YMCA staff and volunteers and providing a common understanding of child protection issues to inform planning and practice.
- Sharing information about child protection and good practice with children and parents/guardians.
- Sharing information about concerns with agencies who need to know, and involving parent/guardians and children appropriately.
- Providing effective management for staff through:
- Regular audits