What Can I Currently Do at the Downtown YMCA?
1. Personal Training Sessions with a YMCA trainer
- $35/hr. (30% off regular price!)
2. COVID Membership - $15/biweekly
- Open to anyone, YMCA membership not required
- Designed for individuals who want high intensity workouts and/or structured and personalized training sessions to help them meet their specific health and fitness goals.
- No limit on number of appointments (subject to trainer availability)
- Appointments must be with YMCA trainers
- Provides access to 1-1 training in the YMCA’s new Find Your Fit and Y Swim programs. YMCA trainers will work individually with you to select and carry out the dryland or aquatic program of your choice
- Provides access to member pricing on swimming lessons
- Provides access to individual low intensity workouts WITHOUT a trainer
- Provides access to book squash courts
- No limit on number of appointments, but they are subject to availability. As spacing is limited in the facility, we expect appointment times will fill quickly. Booking in advance is highly recommended
- This membership is only effective during the COVID-19 mandated closure. Once the facility fully resumes regular operations, COVID members will have the choice to upgrade their membership and/or cancel
- Must be purchased through Membership Services. Please call 403-527-4426 weekdays between 8:00 am - 4:00 pm for assistance or stop by when the facility is open (see "hours of operation" below)
3. Private Swimming Lessons - $25 each (30 minutes)
Hours of Operation
Only the Downtown YMCA will be open at this time.
- Open to anyone, YMCA membership not required
- Designed for individuals who want 1-1 support to improve their technique
- No limit on number of appointments (subject to instructor availability)
- Appointments must be with YMCA aquatics instructors
As demand for services increases, we will re-open South Ridge as soon as it is feasible.
How to Book Appointments
- This week - March 4 and 5 between 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
- CLOSED this weekend (March 6/7)
- Next week - March 8 between 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
- March 9 - 12 between 6:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Weekend hours will be available as of March 13th, however we are still finalizing staffing details. Please watch our social media accounts and website for updates
Please book appointments through your membership portal
. They can be booked up to 8:00 pm the night before you plan to come in.
YMCA Membership Portal
Your portal can be accessed from the YMCA’s website: https://medicinehatymca.ca/
by clicking on the green MEMBER PORTAL
button on the top left side of the screen. If you are experiencing any technical issues with your portal or would like some help learning how to use it, please contact the Membership Services desk for assistance by emailing email@example.com
Access to the general change rooms and showers is available. Due to the current COVID-19 regulations, health plus change rooms, hot tubs and steam rooms are closed.
Swimming Lessons are Back!
Registration for swimming lessons is open! Although YMCA memberships will remain on hold during the government mandated closure, members can still access swimming lessons at a cost of $15. This includes a total of 8 group swimming lessons twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays or Fridays and Saturdays) that run between March 5 – 26. Due to COVID-19 regulations, spaces are limited to 4 children per class so we expect they will fill quickly. Full details and registration information is available on your member portal.
When arriving for lessons, parents are asked to scan their children’s membership cards, assist with changing (if needed) and wait until the instructor is available. During the class, parents are asked to wait outside in their vehicle (if possible) as our lobby does not have adequate space to ensure social distancing can be maintained.
Group Fitness Classes
Online group fitness classes are still available, although there will be changes to the schedule. Please watch our social media channels and website for some exciting group fitness updates over the coming weeks. If you would like to access our online classes please contact Jordon Sager, Fitness Manager at Jordon.firstname.lastname@example.org
. We are pleased to provide this service free-of-charge
to our valued members during the mandated closure.
We are working on adding in-person low intensity group fitness classes. Once we have finalized classes and scheduling, we will be sure to let you know.
Unfortunately, the size of our climbing wall and current social distance restrictions limit the number of people allowed in the area to such an extent that it is just not feasible to open the wall at this time. As restrictions ease, we will get the wall open as soon as possible
COVID-19 Protocols for Appointments and Swimming Lessons
- Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes prior to your appointment. Space in our lobby is limited
- Only the general change rooms are open. Health plus change rooms remain closed. Please come gym-ready to minimize time spent in the change areas
- Appointment times are intentionally staggered to minimize traffic flow in and around the facility, including change areas
- The basement weight area is currently closed. Some areas of the facility may be reserved for 1-1 high intensity appointments only
- Masks must be worn in the facility at all times, except while exercising/swimming
- Use of hand sanitizer is required upon entry
- A COVID symptom checklist/form must be completed each time a person enters the building
- Individuals can only work with one trainer during each appointment
- Physical distancing must be maintained at all times within the facility
- YMCA staff are regularly sanitizing equipment and high-touch surfaces
- Parents are asked to wait in their vehicle while children are in swimming lessons, if possible