Stage 1b: Downtown YMCA – Re-Opening with Limited Capacity on July 13, 2020
We are making excellent progress on our capital improvements and are excited to have them completed in time to re-open on Monday, July 13! This moves us into Stage 1b of our gradual, staged re-opening plan.
Hours of operation will be temporarily reduced to:
- Monday to Friday 5:30 am – 7:00 pm
- Saturdays and Sundays 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Closed on stat holidays
We look forward to expanding our hours back to normal as soon as possible.
Here’s what members need to know:
- As per Government of Alberta public health regulations, steam rooms and hot tubs will not be available at this time.
- The pool will remain closed for the time being to allow us some time to adjust to the new operating procedures. We are committed to re-opening the pool as soon as we are confident we can do so safely.
- The tanning bed in Ladies Health Plus WILL be available
- To support physical distancing, the capacity of the Downtown YMCA will be limited to 80 members dispersed throughout the facility at one time.
- We recommend that members call 403-527-4426 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book their 90-minute workout in advance. This number/email address will be available as of July 13th.
- Members are also welcome to drop-in Downtown as of July 13th, but may be asked to wait or come back later if the YMCA is at full capacity.
- Living Fit will not re-open at this time given the vulnerable population the program serves.
- The racquetball court has been closed
- Squash courts will be available – members will need to call the Downtown facility to book their court time.
- Fitness classes will be available as of July 13th and will require pre-booking. The schedule will be available on July 8th and members may email email@example.com to book their desired times. Our group fitness classes will have a slightly new format to ensure physical distancing is possible. For example, some classes will be outside and some will be held within our gymnasiums.
- We will adhere to all public health and safety guidelines as outlined by the Alberta Governmenthttps://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/covid-19-relaunch-sports-physical-activity-and- recreation.pdf
Public Health and Safety Protocols
New Membership Model
- COVID Release Forms must be completed upon entry to the facility. This information will be kept for 2 weeks and then shredded.
- Please do not visit the YMCA if you have any symptoms of COVID-19, have returned from travel outside of Canada within the past 14 days, or have been in contact with a case of COVID-19 within the past 14 days
- Hand sanitizer is readily available and mandatory for all to use upon entry to the building
- Masks are encouraged in areas of our facility where physical distancing is not possible. Members are encouraged to bring their own masks. Note: masks are not recommended during physical activity
- To encourage physical distancing, we recommend that members shower and change at home. YMCA change rooms and showers will still be available, however will have reduced capacity (e.g., fewer lockers, fewer showers, etc.)
- To ensure physical distancing while using YMCA fitness equipment, members will be given 2 orange cones when they check in. The cones must be used to block off neighboring machines/equipment that are within 2 meters of the machine/equipment you are using. When finished, return your cones to the Membership Desk where they will then be sanitized before reuse.
- Members MUST disinfect their machine/equipment with the provided disinfectant spray before and after each use
- The YMCA will not store any personal equipment such as yoga mats. Members are asked to ensure these items are taken home with them after their workout
- YMCA staff will go through the facility every two hours to disinfect all common touch surfaces
- MP1 and MP2 studios will not be available until September 1st, due to our day camp programming
- Child minding is NOT be available at this time
We understand that there have been many people impacted by financial hardships due to COVID-19, and in an effort to promote access to the YMCA at a lower cost we have created more membership options. As of July 15, members have the choice between Economy, General, and Health Plus memberships. All memberships will be paid on a biweekly payment schedule. For more New Membership Model details, click here.
New members welcome!
- FREE MEMBERSHIP until July 15 for all existing members as a token of our appreciation and acknowledgement that our facilities are not at full capacity due to public health guidelines.
- CREDITS ISSUED IN MARCH
- Members whose last payment was pulled between February 15-29 will resume payments (as per new membership model) on August 7th
- Members whose last payment was pulled between March 1 – 17 will resume payments (as per new membership model) on August 21st
- Members who received refunds during closure will resume payments (as per new membership model) on July 24th
- New members will receive our Introduction to Membership promotion between June 22 – August 31. Payment due upon sign up via debit/credit and pre-authorized payments will commence as per new membership model on July 24
Thank you again for your patience and commitment to the YMCA throughout this pandemic. We are excited to welcome our Members and ask for your patience as we all get used to operating with new public health guidelines. Your membership makes it possible for the YMCA to positively impact our community by promoting health and wellness, fostering belonging and connection, and helping children and families thrive.
We always welcome member’s feedback and suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sincerely,
YMCA Senior Leadership Team
Sharon Hayward, CEO
Betty Duhaime, General Manager – HFA
Corina Cayer, Director of Finance
Sandra Warkentin, General Manager – Child Care